Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Girls Romper Tutorial - Variation A and B

This is the summer of the romper! I've seen so many cute little girl rompers all over the place that I figured now was the time to make some. If you'd like to make one as well, follow along. It's SUPER easy, I promise... and I'm giving you a few options for your waistband and legs.


I started with this existing romper, just for measurement. It is size 12-18 months, which is a little smaller than my little lady needs, so I knew I was planning for something bigger. I also knew I would be adding an elastic waistband, so that would give me a lot of sizing flexibility. This tutorial is for variation A, which will have tie straps at the shoulders, an elastic waistband, and wide-leg shorts.


I folded the romper in half, lengthwise, and set it against the edge of a large piece of paper. I folded the straps for the arms down because I plan to add them later. 


I traced loosely around the romper, adding at least an inch around for seam allowances, and more on the bottom to extend the length for a larger size.

*I will add a downloadable pattern asap.*


Next, I laid this pattern on the fold of the fabric and cut 2.


You should have 2 pieces of fabric that are shaped like the above.


Pin and sew the two sides of the romper, right sides together. I sewed a straight stitch and then went over the edge with a zigzag stitch.


Pin and sew the crotch, right sides together. I sewed a straight stitch and then went over the edge with a zigzag stitch.


It looks this way when finished.


You can use premade bias tape, or make your own. I decided to make my own. This is a really dandy little tool for making bias tape. You just put the strips through it and iron as you pull them out. They are $3-$4 and sold with quilting notions. Well worth the price! Scraps = awesome bias tape! I made bias tape for this particular romper because I was working with a knit and did not want to combine a knit with another fabric type.  


See the magical process? (And don't judge my dirty ironing board cover.)


Next up is hemming. You should hem the top neckline. I am showing a little hemming cheat here, but you can hem the normal way as well. Here, I just chose to zigzig stitch the raw edges, fold over once, and sew a straight stitch across. Just a little cheat. Not sayin' it's the right way. Not sayin' it's the best way, but I am willing to expose my cheats. 



Here, the neckline and legs are hemmed.


Next up is adding the bias tape. I cut 2 strips of bias tape, approximately 18 inches long. I folded them in half and just pressed a little with my finger to make an indentation. I matched the middle of the tape with the seam in the middle of the armpit. I then pinned the bias tape to the arm, right sides together, and sewed there. 


I then folded the bias tape over and pinned it down, all the way from end to end, folding in the edges of the tape. I sewed a straight stitch from end to end, backstitching at each edge.



Here is the romper at this point. Variation A would be to leave it as is. 


Variation B is to add an elastic waistband. Using a wide single-fold bias tape, I pinned it across the wrong side of the waist of the romper and sewed it on. 


I then folded the bias tape up and sewed a topstitch close to the top edge, leaving a small opening.


If you look closely, you can see that the top edge is not sewn shut.



Using a safety pin, insert the elastic into the bias tape casing.


Pull the elastic all the way around, pin it together, and then sew it together securely, using a zigzag stitch.




Sew the casing closed. Turn inside out, and try it on your model!


Other variations of the girls romper tutorial are coming soon, including a drawstring waistband, a shirred waist, elastic leg casings, and more!

3 comments:

  1. So cute Jennifer! Adding to my list, I am so sick of making dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you love it! (I'm sick of making dresses too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding it to my list also with some fabric I've been holding onto just for a time such as this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete