Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Kids Craft: Find It!

On Sunday afternoon, we wandered the Orange Park Mall with some friends. While exploring Books-A-Million, we happened upon a game called "Find It!" Essentially, it is a clear tube filled with beads and other small items. You have to quickly shake the tube and try to find the listed items inside. I'm sure there are other ways to play and instructions inside the package, but I sure wouldn't pay $20 for it!

If you aren't crafty, go buy it. My son had fun playing it just a few minutes at the store, and I think it would be an awesome roadtrip game!

Naturally, I had an immediate plan to make one ourselves.

Here's how we did it.

Materials:
  • Clear container (We used a water bottle, but a mason jar, tupperware, or soda bottle would work)
  • Small beads (We used pony beads, as they were the least expensive. Dollar Tree!!! The actual game uses tiny perler beads.)
  • Ten small items (Our list includes a rubber band, rhinestone heart, die, big red bead, bobbin, blue tee, shiny pebble, button, paperclip, and a screw. Go wild!)
  • Superglue
  • Clear Packing Tape
  • Small Piece of Paper

Gather your supplies. Make sure your clear container is clean and dry.






Type or write your list of items to find. You want to do this in advance so that you don't forget what you put inside. 


Have the child add the items to the container. 






This next part required parental assistance, so I did not photograph. If you have a clear plastic bag full of beads, cut one corner and use it as a funnel to fill the container. You could also use an actual funnel. :)

Do NOT fill the container to the top. You need room to be able to shake the items around and find them. 



Have the child find all the stray beads that went flying during the process to make sure they make it inside the container. ;)



Put the lid on the container. You can use a little bit of SuperGlue if you are concerned about this game being opened in the future!

Since we used a water bottle, we attached our little list to the still-sticky place where the label was once attached. 



We wrapped the list to the bottle with clear packing tape.


Play!




I hope you win!

I'd love to see your pictures if you decide to make this craft! :)

Off topic a bit, this game actually reminded me of a toy I had as a child. It was a "Where's Waldo Glitter Wand." It was filled with water and confetti, and one tiny Waldo that floated around inside.


I hunted online to find one, and to my surprise, one recently sold on Ebay for $99!!!! WHAT!?!?

*Off to dig in my parents attic*

1 comment:

  1. This is super cute and creative. I don't remember those Waldo bracelets!!! ???

    ReplyDelete