Monday, August 29, 2011

Crochet Gladiator Sandals Pattern

Well, I said I'd tell you how I made them. Here's my attempt!

I realized, as I was putting these together, that it is EXTREMELY difficult to explain what I did. Please forgive me if this makes no sense!

For the sole of these particular shoes, I used 3-ply jute, which can usually be found in the jewelry section of craft stores. Using this for the sole makes them durable and able to be worn outside. My daughter currently wears a toddler size 6 shoe, so this sole size should fit.

Using a J hook, ch 8.
Turn. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and across. 3 sc in 1st ch sp.
Sc 6. 4 sc in next.
Sc 5. 2 sc in next 3.
Sc 6. 2 hdc in next 3. Hdc in next.
Sc 7. Hdc in next. 2 hdc in next. Hdc in next.
2 Hdc in next. Sc 7.
2 Hdc in next 4. Hdc in next.
Sc in next. Sl st in next. Join with an invisible join, weaving in ends.

Make two soles.

If you'd prefer to make a sole in a different size, use any crochet shoe pattern, like my cowboy boots pattern, found here. I want to note that jute is not the easiest thing with which to crochet. You have to use a large hook, and it can be a little hard on the hands. If you aren't concerned about outdoor durability, make the soles from yarn, but remember they are slippery!


This is where it is difficult for me to explain.


Using a very long length of yarn, I drew it through the sole of the shoe at the place where I thought the center of the toe piece should be joined. (Remember to do this on the opposite side for the other sole.) You then tie a somewhat loose double knot to serve as your first ch. Using BOTH strands of yarn, crochet a chain. I used an H hook and made my chain 10 ch long.


I left the long tails and then moved on to the next piece.


As you can see, I used the same method for each of the cross straps. For my cross straps, ch 5, ch 1 in the 3rd ch sp in toe piece, ch 7. Join into opposite side of sole. When I joined it into the opposite side of the sole, I just drew one length of my yarn through the bottom and pulled it back up. I tied it off several times and wove the ends into the straps. I then trimmed the yarn. 


Finally, I made a long ch, using the same method of double-stranded yarn, starting in the last cross piece, 2nd ch sp. Mine was about 14 ch long. I turned at the end and sl st into the 4th ch from the end. I tied the yarn around the ending loop a few times, wove in the ends, and trimmed the excess yarn. 


This is what the bottom looks like. There is very little purple yarn peeking through, and as you pull it tighter, it will show even less. 


This is a close-up of the loop at the end of the heel strap. 


Finally, using needle and thread, I sewed a button in the appropriate size for the loop on my heel strap, to the opposite side of the heel strap. 


And then I made the other shoe!


Little lady VERY UNWILLINGLY tried these shoes on for me! You don't get to see the rest of her because she was throwing an absolute FIT! ;) 


Cute, huh!?!?

If you were able to decode and understand my method, you could EASILY make these shoes in any size. Like I said, you can use any sole pattern out there to make the crochet shoe in the size of your choosing. I just always wanted to work with jute, so I gave it a go! 

As always, feel free to use my pattern for personal use, but please don't use it for items you sell!

I've got another pair of crochet sandals in the works now, so be on the lookout!

1 comment:

  1. Jute there it is!
    Yay! I'm so excited to try this out.

    ReplyDelete