Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Super Mario Cake: In The Works

What have you guys been up to this week?. Me, I've been preparing for the birthday of a very special almost 5-year-old. AAAHH!?!? My son is going to be FIVE on Friday. Unbelievable. No one was lying about kids growing up too fast!

Anyway, I've put my cake decorating apron back on this week, and little man has been helping me to get his cake ready to go for Saturday morning. I have to confess that I really hate cake decorating. I mean, I'm glad I learned how to do it, specifically for my own children, and because it's something fun we can do together... but it is tedious, messy, time-consuming, and REALLY hard to do when you have little people running around. As my kids get older, I suppose I may start to love it more. Right now, I just avoid it at all costs! Truly my least favorite craft activity... but anything for the kids!

So, he is really into Mario right now and naturally, wanted a Mario party and Mario cake. We sat down together and scoured the web for some Mario cake ideas. Below is a picture of the first cake he told me he liked.



HA! Fat chance, kiddo.

We continued to look. Let me tell you, there are TONS of ADORABLE Mario cakes out there... but, being a savvy four-about-to-be-five-year-old, when this cake popped up, he said, "MOM! That's it! That's the one! You know why?" "Why?" "BECAUSE IT HAS A FIVE ON IT!" How fortunate! ;) I have to say I am really thankful as well, because comparatively speaking, this is MUCH simpler and closer to my actual skill level.



So, we've been modeling the fondant and gum paste figures for the past couple of days. Here's what we've done so far.


Normally, I would make my own fondant from marshmallows, but I TOOOTALLY cheated and bought Duff's stuff. It tastes really good, by the way. It's still pretty time consuming to dye the fondant various colors, roll it out, carve, and mold it into appropriate shapes. The 5 is made only from gum paste, so it has already hardened and will sit atop the cake with no problem. 

Here are a couple closeups of the flowers, mushrooms, and bricks. I think the pieces are coming together quite nicely!




Can't wait to come back and show you the finished product!

2 comments:

  1. You are so talented! Not only do your cakes look great they taste great also! They are two lucky little people to have you as their Mommy!

    ReplyDelete